Thursday, February 25, 2016

Three Moments of an Explosion (required reading)


Three moments of an explosion is a a series of stories that can be called surreal but are written in ways and in a style that gives the book a very real feeling. Ultimately, while I loved the bizarre and often Disturbing (ensuring it was indeed a horror novel) it was the way they are told and how they unfold that really swept me into the world he created. 

The characters feel very real to me, and that is not only because they are "modern" characters that would fit in perfectly with modern society. But also because when we experience their thoughts and reaction to the bizarre scenarios, they act in a way that is very real. 

It is hard to say which direction the horror genre is going at one time and often, it seems like the horror media of today is going in all different direction. I think the fact that you can't really predict where it is going next, is proof that much of today's horror is attempting to tread into new territory (as evidence by this novel) or combine or flip past conventions on their head (evidence by movies like Cabin in the Woods). To me that is exciting, however I am also a fan of many of the conventional horror tropes of the past, so I hope modern authors, directors, etc keep them around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment